About users and roles
Essentially, your role decides whether you can author and edit analyses, what type of Spotfire client you can use (installed or web), and what functionality you have access to.
To invite users and assign roles, you must be the owner of the TIBCO Cloud™ Spotfire® account. See Managing your team.
Roles in TIBCO Cloud Spotfire
In the Consumer role, you can use Spotfire in your web browser. You can view and, to some extent, interact with analyses that an Analyst or Business Author user has authored. You cannot author and edit analyses.
In the Business Author role, you can use Spotfire in your web browser to author and edit analyses. You can use all the authoring capabilities that are available in the Spotfire Business Author & Consumer web client. See What's the difference between the installed client and the web client.
Of course, as an Analyst you can also use Spotfire in your web browser.
What's the difference between the installed client and the web client?
Depending on your role, you might be able to use Spotfire either in your web browser, or as an installed application on your Windows computer. The names of the clients correspond to the user roles; the web client is referred to as Spotfire Business Author & Consumer, and the installed client is called Spotfire Analyst.
There are some differences in functionality between the two clients.
Remember that your role determines what you can do in the web client. Consumers cannot author and edit analyses.
- View, author, and edit analyses in your web browser.
- Access data from Salesforce and Google Analytics.
- Work with analyses with connections to supported data sources that have been prepared in the Spotfire Analyst installed client. See Supported data sources in the TIBCO Cloud™ Spotfire® web client.
Installed client for Windows
Remember that you must have the Analyst role to use the installed client.
- View, author, and edit analyses.
- Create data connections to access data from a wide range of data sources.
- Use advanced analytical capabilities, like adding transformations, predictive modeling, lines and curves, and powerful data functions in the analyses.
- Use the full range of Spotfire visualizations, including box plots, 3D scatter plots, text areas, heat maps, and graphical tables.
Using a different version of Spotfire?This help describes the web client version of Spotfire on TIBCO Cloud™. If you're looking for documentation for the installed client or other versions of Spotfire, visit the TIBCO Documentation Portal.